News & Events
September 29, 2017: 2017 MABL Foundation Scholarship Applications Due
For more information, visit our MABL Scholarship page.
September 4, 2017: Profiles in Courage Award Nominations Due
Please consider nominating someone today for the 2017 Profiles in Courage Award. The award is presented at the MABL Gala each year. Apply here.
2016-2017 TERM IN REVIEW
21st anniversary Gala was
one of the most successful in recent years.
Scholarship amounts were higher for each category. Over $19,000
realized for MABL Foundation Mission
MABL is working on a detailed 3–year strategic
plan, facilitated by Judge Peter Reyes of the MN Court of Appeals
Held a very successful Judicial
Workshop, with support from the Infinity Project for members and community.
Workout sessions included specific resources for junior, mid-career and
vintage practitioners. Audience
included those considering opportunities on the bench and judges who may
consider changes in the future.
Conducted 5 very
successful sessions on the following key issues – (wrap up and action plan
meeting coming up in July).
Legislation & Advocacy,
before the Sentencing Guidelines Commission
membership survey for pulse on and about MABL
profile section on website to include searchable database for lawyer
listing at mabl.org
Student Soiree for incoming law students
focused support of law students throughout the year, including resume
workshops, interviewing skills, class success skills, etc.
All of the
BLSA students that MABL worked with through its Law School Committee secured
support for summer internship
inaugural Law Student/Summer Intern cookout - with panelists discussing
success strategies, socializing and more – special thanks to Stinson Leonard
Street for co-sponsoring the event!
on 2017 Open Doors Program
facilitation of Implicit bias training
case studies for use in classrooms
Africa – Sorting books for shipment to African countries
to include Immediate Past President position for increased efficiency and
successful Minority Judges Reception
participated in Mayor Sayles Belton Statue project/unveiling
· Cosponsored and participated in the Affinity Bar Job Symposium. MABL members were panelists, offering guidelines to students of color.
· Cosponsored and participated in the first Affinity Bar Leadership Dinner/social
· VLN – Race, Policy and Justice Workshop
· People of Color Career Fair
· American Constitutional Society - American Denial Movie and Panel discussion
· Diversity Report with Affinity Bar
Ethical Problems CLE
issues of shared concern – Karen Riley case
October 7, 2016: 2016 MABL Foundation Scholarship Applications Due
September 9, 2016: Profiles in Courage Award Nominations Due
Please consider nominating someone today for
the 2016 Profiles in Courage Award. The award is presented at the MABL
Gala each year. Apply here.
June 16, 2016: General Meeting at TBD at 6:00 p.m.
February 18, 2016: General Meeting at TBD at 6:00 p.m.
November 14, 2015: 20th Annual MABL Scholarship Gala at Marriott City Center, Minneapolis
October 15, 2015: General Meeting at Stinson Leonard Street LLP at 6:00 p.m.
September 19, 2015: Minnesota Black Women Lawyers Network's Law Student Orientation (co-sponsored by MABL)
MABL co-sponsored an orientation for female minority law
students from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on September 19, 2015. The orientation, which was held in Giddens Learning Center on
Hamline's Campus, Room 100E, covered the following topics:
Unwritten Rules for Success
Issues Facing Women in the Law
Breakout sessions will include the following:
Family law/solo practice
Admin law/civil rights/legal services
1st Year Experience
2014-2015 TERM IN REVIEW
The 2014-2015 term was an extremely busy and successful year for MABL. Highlights of accomplishments from the fiscal year include:
- The Gala generated a profit after running at a deficit for two years
- The Filings with the Attorney General were completed after being neglected since 2007
- The filings with the IRS were brought up-to-date without incurring penalties or fees
- FBA Women in the Law
- Minnesota Women Lawyers Conference
- MSBA Magna Carta
- Sever's Corn Maze with HCBA's Civil Litigation Section
- Red Father documentary screening in collaboration with American Constitutional Society
- Mall of America Black Lives Matter Protest in collaboration with MSBA
- Path to the Federal Bench in collaboration with HCBA, FBA, and others
- Community Fair at University of St. Thomas School of Law
- Happy Hour to celebrate Artika Tyer's book, Lawyer as Leader
- Annual Minority Judge Reception at U.S. Courthouse, Minneapolis
- MABL Networking Membership Event, May 30, 2015
- Paving the Road Ahead: Women of Color in the Law
- Open Doors to Federal Courts - Thurgood Marshall
General Membership Meetings
- MABL Summer BBQ, September 20, 2014
- General Membership Meeting at Hamline School of Law, April 9, 2015
- Annual Meeting at MSBA Offices, June 18, 2015
- MWL Leadership Lecture - Table
- Thurgood at the Illusion Theater - Sponsorship and free tickets to members
- Campaign for Legal Aid - Sponsorship
- Real Talk - Sponsorship and free tickets to members to attend live showing
- MABL Judicial Committee - offers mock interviews and letters of support to eligible members
- Letter to Minnesota Senators in support of more attorneys of color on the federal bench
- Guest on MPR regarding police and body cameras
- Letter in support of Minneapolis repeal of lurking and spitting ordinances
Other Meeting Issues of Note:
Elected Slate for 2015-2016 :
President: Maria Mitchell, Hennepin County Public Defender
Vice President: Michael Essien, Essien Law Office
Secretary: Camille Bryant, Hennepin County Public Defender
Treasurer: Angela Porter, Dorsey & Whitney
Member At-Large: Amran Farah, Waldeck Law Firm P.A.
Member At-Large: Charmaine Harris, Blackwell Burke P.A.
Marianne Ellis of the Office of the Attorney General is willing to make herself available to answer questions and provide general infromation for any MABL member interested in applying to the Office of the Attorney General for the State of Minnesota
Lindsay W. Davis of MSBA would like to encourage MABL members to apply for the MSBA Legal Assistance to the Disadvantaged Committee (LAD). For additional information follow this link.